Wednesday, February 08, 2006

I've Spent Six Dollars On Less

B2 Networks enables you to watch select ECHL games live, over the internet. Tonight, I decided to watch the Falcons take on the Thunder, live from Stockton.

During my decision to order the game, I briefly forgot that the game overlaps some other big broadcasts Wednesday night: The Grammys, "Lost", "American Idol" and the Canucks vs. Blues game - Vancouver's my favorite team. That's a lot of damn good TV for one night.

What the hell, that's what Tivo is for; on with the Falcons via the internet.

BROADCAST NOTES:

Real easy to order the game, I just clicked the B2 Network button a couple minutes before the game and I was taken to a page where I filled in some billing info' and, within a minute, I was watching the Stockton feed.

As expected, you only have a small screen to watch on. You can expand it to fill the screen but you lose a lot of resolution. It’s hard to see the puck but an educated hockey fan doesn't need to see the puck to follow the action.

The feed is mostly smooth, with only an occasional jump or freeze. Brian Clark's 1550 radio broadcast is played over it. Clark's play-calling is pretty much in time with the video feed.

For this broadcast, there is only one camera to view the game with. This creates a bland, no score overlay, view. But the camera man does get some occasional tight shots when play is mucking it up around the goal.

There are no commercials so you get to watch the raw "in house" feed. Brian Clark's mic is on the whole time but he rarely says something during the breaks. Although a funny moment (funny in an eight year old boy humor way) happened during the second intermission when Clarky announced to his director he was making a restroom run.

In the end, I was glad to have spent the six bucks for the game. It was a nice edition to Brian Clark's radio call. I wouldn't recommend doing it for home games, just go watch them. But, if I only have to spend six bucks to not go to Stockton, that’s money well spent. Plus the Falcons won in overtime, I picked a good game to watch.

Now where’s my Tivo remote?

1 comment:

Nick Belardes said...

I'm thinking that you could have spent six bucks on a few beers watching your crappy Canucks at a sports bar instead of the wingless Falcons. By the way, that jerk Wrangler fan is from Vancouver and tells some helluva stories about his days watching the Canucks up in dismal Canada...most memorable are his stories of Stanley Cup finals and riots in the streets...